My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.spachethespatula.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Pumpkin Shortbread

IMG_0496


By now you should realize that I loooove me some shortbread... probably a little too much. But, when I saw the recipe for this pumpkin shortbread, I knew that it would go way too well with the egg nog ice cream that I had planned, and thus, I just had to make it! C'mon, who can honestly resist the buttery goodness that is shortbread (don't tell me if you can, because if that's the case, I'm not sure I want to know you)?
This shortbread is super tasty and, though I did make a pie as well, you could completely forgo a pie and simply serve this at Thanksgiving! I'm sure you would hear no complaints (just don't forget to serve it up with some of the ice cream).
This shortbread is softer than most because of the moist pumpkin, and packs a ton of flavor into each bite. You could fairly easily turn these into little cookies but I like the look of the little tart slices (especially if you do decide to make this instead of a pie!).


IMG_0495
IMG_0502


Pumpkin Shortbread
recipe slightly adapted from here


ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (I made my own with 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg, 1/8 tsp allspice)
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2/3 cup confectioner's sugar
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
  1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Grease a 9.5 inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Set aside.
  2. Combine flour, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add pumpkin and mix until combined. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
  4. Spread the dough into the greased pan and smooth the top.
  5. Bake for about 80 minutes, until firm and golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Cool for at least ten minutes. Remove side from pan and cut with serrated knife.
IMG_0499

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails