Mikey and I have owned a slow-cooker for quite some time now but have actually never used it (shame on us!). It's not that I never wanted to, it's just that I'm so used to preparing such labor-intensive meals when I do cook, that the prospect of throwing something in the pot and then turning it on only to touch it again hours later was completely foreign to me. How terrible is it that I'm intimidated by something being too easy to cook?
Anyways, we both had been craving BBQ lately and I have always wanted to make some myself, so I thought it would be the perfect occasion to try out the slow-cooker.
I found this great recipe for BBQ beef and it could not have been easier. Seriously, what was I thinking waiting this long to toss something in the crock pot?! I literally put it in in the morning, added the sauce when I got back from class, whipped up the coleslaw a couple hours later, and then viola! Dinner in a flash (well it technically took like 10 hours... but my personal input was minimal)!
This BBQ beef is absolutely sublime, you guys! It's sweet, tangy, and oh-so-comforting. And, paired with the cool slaw it is the perfect entree for a dinner outside on a summer evening. I served mine up on cute little Brioche buns, but they would also be great on Hawaiian rolls (any slightly sweet roll really).
Oh, and just so you know, this makes AWESOME leftovers :).
Slow-Cooker BBQ Beef
recipe adapted from here
- 3 1/2 lb beef chuck roast
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Place the roast in the slow-cooker along with the water. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the broth from the slow-cooker and discard.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together all of the remaining ingredients. Pour over the meat; cover and continue to cook for 3 more hours on low.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker (try to shake off the excess juices/sauce) and shred on a cutting board using 2 forks. Try to remove the fat from the meat now as well. Place back in the slow-cooker, mix around with t he sauce/juices, and cook for 3 more hours on low.
- Serve on buns topped with Sweet Cole Slaw (recipe below).
Sweet Cole Slaw
recipe adapted from here
- 1 10-ounce bag of shredded cabbage for cole slaw
- 6 ounces broccoli slaw mix
- 1 shallot bulb, diced (2-3 tbsp)
- 2/3 cup Miracle Whip (it's sweeter than mayo)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds