My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.spachethespatula.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, August 2, 2010

Pine Nut and Black Pepper Granola with Figs and Goat's Milk Yogurt

IMG_3124


I am an absolute granola nut. I freakin' love the stuff, and I am all about a complex, jam-packed mix. I like it loaded with all sorts of goodies: nuts, seeds, fruit, grains, etc., but this incredibly simple and uncomplicated granola blew me away. I have zero idea how a granola with only 6 ingredients (that includes salt and pepper!) can taste so unbelievably complex and wonderful and yet, this slightly spicy and sweet mix swept me off my feet and left me swooning. The small amount of butter and sugar form a wonderful caramel coating over the individual oats and nuts which is absolutely addictive!


Everyone knows that goat cheese and figs are a match made in heaven, but have you ever tried figs and goat's milk yogurt? Oh my.... it is purely sublime. Add in the spicy pine nut granola and you are left with the most amazing way to start off your day (though I must admit I've also had it for lunch, snacks, and dessert). This dish is basically texture heaven. You get the cool, creamy yogurt against the warm, soft figs, and finally the crunchy granola.


All I can say is, you simply must try this dish. It couldn't be easier and yet the flavors are incredible. I'll stop tying to convince you now and just let the photos speak for themselves :).


IMG_3127
IMG_3130




Pine Nut and Black Pepper Granola with Figs and Goat's Milk Yogurt
This is more of an outline than a recipe. This is just what I use for myself.

ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup Pine Nut and Black Pepper Granola (recipe below)
  • 1/4 cup goat's milk yogurt (I used a variety with added honey but you could use plain and drizzle actual honey on top, or just skip it altogether)
  • 2 fresh figs, quartered (I used Black Mission)
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  1. Heat the oil in a small pan over high heat. Add the figs and saute for about 4-5 minutes or until they begin to caramelize.
  2. Add the yogurt and granola to a bowl and top with the figs. Eat up!
Pine Nut and Black Pepper Granola
recipe from August 2010 issue of Cooking Light

ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 3 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • pinch of sea salt
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
  2. In a large skillet or dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add in the sugar and cook for about 2 minutes until the sugar lightly browns. Add in the nuts, oats, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook for 2 more minutes.
  3. Spread the mixture in a thin layer onto the lined baking sheet. Bake for 16 minutes, stirring after 8 minutes. Cool completely.
IMG_3132
IMG_3123

2 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by the addition of black pepper here - I'm a granola addict, too!
    Looks delicious and I love it that you served it with figs - yum!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails