My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.spachethespatula.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

IMG_0314

Sorry I've been MIA for a bit but I was struggling through finals! I am SO happy to be done and to be on Spring Break. This past quarter was by far the most stressful out of the entirety of my education. At times I didn't think I was going to make it, but I pulled through!

I have been craving ice cream and ice-cream related treats (i.e. milkshakes) practically nonstop for the past week. I completely attribute it to my body attempting to de-stress in the best way it knows how--filling it with delicious delights!

There is nothing out-of-the-ordinary about this recipe. After all, it's just vanilla ice cream. But, it is the creamiest, dreamiest vanilla ice cream that I have ever tried. And besides, in the scope of things, vanilla ice cream is quite possibly the most important and necessary dessert component. What goes better with a warm apple pie, a chocolatey brownie, homemade caramel, or a berry crumble quite like a scoop of vanilla? Nothing, that's what!

This ice cream is actually a custard because it calls for egg yolks which make it unimaginably smooth and luxurious. It is also quite rich in the most delicious way. This recipe comes from David Lebovitz who is the absolute master of ice cream!

IMG_0310

Here's a tip for what to do with your empty vanilla bean pods: toss them in your granulated sugar. It will infuse your sugar with a vanilla flavor that will amp up the flavor in all of your baked goods! As you can see I have about a dozen beans sticking out of and buried within mine:


Dried Vanilla Beans in Sugar

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
recipe from here

ingredients:
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • pinch of sea salt
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 5 large egg yolks
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  1. In a small saucepan, combine the milk, salt and sugar and bring to a simmer. Scrape the seeds of the vanilla bean into the mixture and toss in the empty pod. Cover and remove from heat. Allow the mixture to infuse for an hour.
  2. Set up an ice bath by placing a 2-quart bowl inside of a larger bowl that is filled with ice water. Set a mesh strainer over the top of the smaller bowl and pour in the cream.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Rewarm the milk mixture and remove the vanilla bean. Temper the yolks by whisking small amounts of the warm milk mixture into the yolks. Add the warmed yolks into the saucepan.
  4. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, being sure to scrape the bottom and sides until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. When you run your finger down the back of the spoon, the trail left by your finger should stay put.
  5. Strain the custard into the small bowl in your ice bath. Stir in the vanilla extract and stir over the ice until cool and then refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
  6. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to your manufacturer's instructions.
IMG_0313

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I've taken your base, and twisted it for my own flavor creations! :)

    Cheers, and keep up the delicious work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve been an avid reader for awhile and just wanted to get it out there what a big fan I am of your blog. My question is about sherbet. There is loads of information on the internet about the definition and difference between sherbet, sorbet, ice cream, etc. but there are absolutely no good recipes!



    The long and short of it is that I fell in love with Trader Joe’s pomegranate blueberry sherbet and I’ve been trying to replicate it for ages. If you haven’t tried it you have to go to the store right now! I was wondering if you have come across any great sherbet recipes I could try or if you have any suggestions. My main trouble comes to the texture of the sherbet. My sherbet attempts are great right out of the ice cream maker but become hard as a rock in the freezer. How do I achieve that sort of creaminess? I’d love any tips/recipes/resources you could suggest. bgrindl (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails