My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.spachethespatula.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, November 9, 2009

Chocolate-Dipped Marzipan Almond Crescent Cookies

IMG_0338

The culinary creations over at What's For Lunch Honey? time and time again take my breath away. There is an eclectic mix of recipes and each contains the most gorgeous photos of food that I have ever seen. These pretty marzipan cookies caught my eye immediately, and off to the grocery store I went to pick up the few ingredients that the recipe calls for.
These were so tasty! They were chewy and crunchy and sweet and decadent- a perfect texture and taste experience in my mouth! I highly recommend that you go make these little crescents right away- they're so easy and delicious that you have no reason not to!
When I made the first batch I made them way too fat so they spread out and ended up looking like bear claws! I just ran with that and dipped only one side of those ones in chocolate. The next batches I made much thinner and they turned out great (not as beautiful as Meeta's but still good, I think)! I am a bit perplexed though as to why mine turned out so much flatter than her's did. I am wondering if maybe she used almond paste and not marzipan as she switches between the two terms. I'm not sure if that would have made a difference but that is the only reason I could think of.

IMG_0347

No, I clearly did not temper the chocolate.

Chocolate-Dipped Marzipan Almond Crescent Cookies
recipe adapted from here

ingredients:
  • 500g marzipan paste
  • 150g granulated sugar
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 tbsp lemon zest
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 100g almonds, thinly sliced
  • 200g bittersweet chocolate (I used 70%), coarsely chopped
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
  2. Mix together the marzipan, sugar, egg whites, lemon zest, and almond oil in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
  3. Set a bowl of water next to you. Place the almond slices on a plate.
  4. Dip your fingers into the water and then tear off some of the marzipan dough. Form 2 1/2 inch logs and then form each log into a crescent (make sure they're pretty skinny because they will puff out quite a bit). Coat the crescent with the almonds. Place on baking sheet and repeat until all dough is used.
  5. Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool the cookies on a rack.
  6. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave in 30 second intervals.
  7. Dip both ends of the cookies in the melted chocolate and place on a wire rack to dry.
IMG_0351

1 comment:

  1. Will try your recipe at Passover. These sound absolutely delectable.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails