On Thursdays I don't have class until 1:30 so I get to sleep in and have brunch :)! Today, though, I didn't do much sleeping in as I got up at 8am. I laid around on the couch for a few hours and studied for my English exam this afternoon (which I totally aced if you were wondering) and by 11 I was in the mood for eggs! I haven't had eggs in quite a while and the last eggs I did have were scrambled. I knew I wanted some delicious, runny, yolk-y goodness to satiate my craving.
Poaching eggs is one of my very favorite ways to enjoy them and these turned out spectacular. Seriously, this simple dish is one of the best breakfasts/brunches I have had in quite a while. I enjoyed my eggs with some juicy white and pink grapefruit.
Oh, and don't judge my use of sandwich thins! They're only 100 calories!
It's a happy face! Hah.
Poached Eggs Over Sauteed Garlic Spinach
- 2 large eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 tbsp butter, divided in half
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 slices of toast, and english muffin, or *ahem* a whole wheat sandwich thin
- Bring a pot of water to a low boil.
- While you wait for the water to boil, heat half of the butter in a skillet. Add in the garlic and saute for a minute or so until really fragrant. Add in the spinach and some salt and pepper and saute for a few minutes until wilted.
- Crack the eggs into little bowls or ramekins and slowly slide them, one at a time, into the water. You can use a spoon to try and push the egg whites around the yolks. Turn the heat to the lowest setting and let the eggs cook in the water for about 4 minutes.
- Grab your toast/sandwich thin/whatever and butter it with the remaining butter. Top with the sauteed spinach. Using a slotted spoon, remove the eggs from the water and gently place on top of the spinach. Add more salt and pepper to your heart's content... I like a lot as you can see. Enjoy!
1 serving @ 352 calories