This is the salad that I served up the other evening with the Mussels and Fennel with Saffron Cream Sauce. I know I promised to have it up just a day after the mussels, but it's been a seriously hectic week starting my new quarter of school, plus trying to show my little sister all around Seattle!
recipe from here
serves 6 as a side salad
for the salad:
- 3 hearts of Romaine, washed, dried and cut into bite-sized strips
- 1 large carrot, peeled into strips
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- handful of pitted olives (I used Nicoise olives)
- handful of grape tomatoes, halved
- Ricotta salata cheese, to taste
for the dressing:
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 10 big fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Make the dressing: add all of the dressing ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and blitz to combine. The dressing should be fairly thick. Pour into a container, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve salad.
- Make the salad: combine all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Toss with the dressing, being sure to fully cover all the veggies. Serve immediately.