My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.spachethespatula.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Plum and Blueberry Galette

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

summer 09 140


Finally, the rush of the holidays is nearly over and I can get back to posting!
Now, I have to admit, this recipe is quite old- from July 2009, but it is so amazing that I just have to share it with you. Normally I wouldn't use things like boxes of piecrust mix, but I made this recipe while home in Florida over the summer and didn't have much time to mess around making the pastry crust by hand (though over the past year I have become such a natural food snob that I would undoubtedly make the crust myself simply because I despise no knowing exactly what I'm putting in my food). Don't let the boxed piecrust deter you, however; make no mistake, this galette is fantastic! It makes a refreshing dessert, or even a delectable breakfast alternative.
I had used all fresh fruits when I made it, but I'm sure you could use some frozen blueberries in a pinch. The lightness you get from the fruit is paired so nicely with the rich pastry crust and sugar-y drizzle.
The great thing about this recipe is that it is also highly adaptable. You can substitute any fruits you like, such as perhaps: raspberry and nectarine, blackberry and peach, or strawberry and mango.


summer 09 141

Plum and Blueberry Galette

ingredients:
filling:

  • 1 1/4 lbs plums (I used a variety of red, black, and yellow plums), pitted and cut into 1/2-in. wedges
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 tsp cornstarch
crust:
  • 1 box (11 ounces) piecrust mix
  • 3 tbsp granulated sugar
  • pinch of ground ginger
  • 1/3 cup water 
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
icing drizze:
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil (though I experienced some sticking with the foil so I would suggest a silicone baking mat).
  2. In a medium-sized bowl, toss together the filling ingredients (now, try not to eat all of t before it's time to actually bake it). Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, combine all of the crust ingredients except the egg. Stir until mixture begins to come together, then roll it out into a 13-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Carefully roll it up on the rolling pin and transfer it to the baking sheet.
  4. Spoon the filling in the center of the dough, leaving a 3-inch border all around. Fold the edges of the dough partially over the fruit mixture and brush with beaten egg.
  5. Bake for 35 minutes until crust is golden-brown and the filling is bubbly (you may experience some leakage but that's fine). Carefully transfer the galette to a serving tray using two spatulas to aid in balancing it.
  6. In a smal bowl combine the icing ingredients and mix until pliable (add more water if necessary). Drizzle over galette and serve!
summer 09 139

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails