My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.spachethespatula.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Spanish Varillas, or "Rods"- Tapas Night Part 2 of 3

IMG_5866


As soon as I saw this recipe over on Kayotic Kitchen, I knew that it would make an awesome addition to my Tapas Date Night menu!
These little Spanish "rods" (as they are so lovingly called- "varillas"), are not only incredibly tasty, but truly unique! Have you ever seen anything like them? I know I haven't!
I switched up the recipe a bit. I used prosciutto di parma in place of serrano ham (jamรณn serrano) because Whole Foods didn't carry the latter. I would have really preferred the serrano though to keep with my Spanish theme. In case you aren't familiar, the difference between the two is that serrano ham has much less fat, and it is a bit drier.
I also used a goat's milk cream cheese as opposed to cow's milk. I was originally going to just substitute the cream cheese for goat cheese (which I still think would be great), but as soon as I saw the goat's milk cream cheese I was sold.
Goat Cream Cheese
For my greens I chose baby arugula for the nice spicy bite it lends, but any green would do here- play around!
I thought these turned out incredible! They were super easy to make, but packed a ton of flavor. The tangy creaminess of the goat's milk cream cheese paired with the salty, chewy prosciutto and crisp bread stick is a combination so divine that I had to have 2! While that may not seem like a lot, these guys are over a foot long each!


IMG_5849
IMG_5864


Spanish Varillas, or "Rods"
recipe adapted from here

As you can see there are no exact amounts here. You can make as many or as few as you want. Everything is made to your own personal tastes!

ingredients:
  • prosciutto di parma (or serrano ham), sliced very thin
  • crispy bread sticks (you could get flavored ones if you want but I just stuck with the traditional)
  • goat's milk cream cheese (I found this at Whole Foods)
  • chives, diced
  • sun-dried tomatoes (I only used one), minced
  • pinch of fresh ground pepper
  • pinch of sea salt
  • baby arugula
  1. Mix together the chives, pepper, sea salt, sun-dried tomato, and cream cheese in a small bowl.
  2. Spread the cream cheese mixture over one side of a slice of prosciutto and add the arugula on top of that.
  3. Carefully roll the prosciutto around a bread stick. Repeat for as many as your heart desires.
  4. Serve with leftover cream cheese mixture to dip!
IMG_5850

1 comment:

  1. I made this dish and featured it on Saturday Blog Showcase. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails