I love the classic Rice Krispie Treats as much as the next person and so does my boyfriend Mikey, which is why when he asked me, at literally midnight last night, if he went out and bought a box of the cereal if I would make him the delicious treats, I said yes. But, of course I can't be satisfied with just the average Rice Krispie Treat. I need a slightly gourmet flair- and then I remembered Deb's salted brown butter version and it was settled.
These crispy bars are absolutely to-die-for (plus entirely too easy to make)! Especially if you eat them before they are all set up and still ooey, gooey, and warm. The brown butter gives them a slightly nutty favor that is simply sublime with the flaky salt.
Yum! You can even juuust barely see the little bits of browned butter in them.
Smitten Kitchen's Salted Brown Butter Crispy Treats
recipe from here
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, plus extra to grease the pan
- 1 10 ounce bag of marshmallows
- heaping 1/4 tsp coarse salt (I used fleur de sel)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Grease an 8 inch square baking dish; set aside.
- In a large pot (I used a dutch oven), melt and brown the butter over medium-low heat. Deb says the butter will "melt, then foam, then turn clear golden, and finally start to turn brown and smell nutty." Continually stir the butter and scrape any browned bits that form at the bottom of the pan. The butter will turn from browned to burned very quickly so don't let it out of your sight!
- Turn the heat off and stir in the marshmallows right when the butter is browned. If the residual heat alone does not melt the marshmallows, turn the heat back on low and stir until fully melted and creamy.
- Take the pot off of the heat if you turned it back on and stir in the cereal and salt into the butter/marshmallow mixture.
- Spread the mixture immediately into the prepared pan and press it down so that it is even. Let cool to room temperature and cut into squares.