My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.spachethespatula.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Veggie Burgers & Super Simple Garlic Aioli

IMG_0896


Every few weeks or months I go through a food faze where I just cannot get enough of a certain food. In the past it has been avocados, big juicy meat burgers, hot dogs, sweet potato fries, cottage cheese, pickles, and peanut butter. My cravings have absolutely no rhyme or reason and come on fairly suddenly. Right now, it's veggie burgers. These days, nearly each time I go out to eat I order one and still haven't satiated my hankering. I decided it was high time I made my own.
Despite the fact that I generally have a strong aversion to Guy Fieri and his bowling shirts and "bling,"I had heard that his sister's veggie burger recipe was up there with the best. Thus, I conceded my disfavor of the man for a small moment and gave it a try.
These veggie burgers turned out surprisingly delectable and I am very glad that I made quite a few to freeze for whenever I need one .
I served mine up on a big brioche bun with a simple aioli (recipe below), avocado, green leaf lettuce, and tomato.


IMG_0888
IMG_0900

Veggie Burgers
recipe adapted from here
ingredients:
IMG_0865
  • 4 ounces olive oil
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp diced red onion
  • 1/4 cup diced black olives
  • 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
  • 1 tbsp diced jalapeno
  • 3 tbsp minced garlic
  • 2 tbsp diced artichoke
  • 8 ounces black beans, drained if canned
  • 8 ounces chickpeas, drained if canned
  • 8 ounces white kidney beans, drained if canned
  • 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
  • 6 ounces rolled oats
  • 3.5 ounces oat bran
  • 1/2 tsp Sweet Hungarian paprika
  • 1/2 tsp hot paprika
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp celery salt
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground sage
  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
  1. Heat 2 ounces of the olive oil (half of it) in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add in the first seven ingredients (all until the beans) and saute until the veggies become translucent (about 5 minutes or so). Put the veggies into a bowl to cool and set aside. IMG_0862
  2. Slightly mash the beans and the parsley in a bowl with a fork or potato masher. Add in the veggies and mix thoroughly.  IMG_0851
  3. Add in the remainder of the dry ingredients. Also add in the eggs and worcestershire sauce, and form into eight patties (I got seven, but I made mine fairly large). Cover and refrigerate for at least half an hour (or freeze any you don't want to use right away). I used a little circular tupperware container lined with plastic wrap to help me shape the patties. Then, I just lifted each out by the plastic, and wrapped 'em up- super easy! IMG_0873IMG_0878
  4. Heat the other 2 ounces of olive oil in the saute pan and cook the patties for 2 to 3 minutes per side.

Super Simple Garlic Aioli

ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
  • 2 tbsp minced garlic
  1. Whisk together all of the ingredients in a bowl.
  2. Chill the aioli, covered, for at least 2 hours prior to serving so flavors can meld.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very impressive site, with great pictures. While I think this recipe is a bit too complicated in terms of the number of ingredients, I can see what it is a good one, and will definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :)
    While there are a lot of ingredients, the burgers pack a lot of flavor! Though, if you wanted, I'm sure you could leave out a number of the ingredients and the burgers would still be tasty (for instance eany of the spice you might not enjoy or some of the veggies like the artichokes or olives).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails