My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.spachethespatula.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, October 2, 2009

Blogging- A whole new world! Plus- Wheatberry Pancakes with Strawberry Syrup

For the past eight months, food blogs have been enticing me daily- filing up my free time and inspiring me to cook and bake more than ever before. I've wrestled with the idea of starting my own blog for a couple of months now, but I wasn't sure I was up for it. Well, I guess I'll find out!
In this blog I hope to keep track of my day-to-day meals in my ongoing quest to eat (mostly) healthy, while trying to balance my insane love of all things buttery, creamy, and delicious!

So, without further ado, I present my breakfast...

Wheatberry Pancakes with Strawberry Syrup
wheatberry pancake recipe adapted from here

IMG_5111

These pancakes were quite yummy. The pancake base would be a really good jumping off point for mix-ins! I was thinking the strawberry syrup would have been nice with some toasted pecans added into the pancake batter. The syrup smelled like heaven while it was cooking and the lemon zest really brought out the strawberry flavor. Though, in the end I thought the syrup turned out a bit too sweet for my tastes so I was thankful that the pancakes weren't really sweet at all themselves.

pancake ingredients:

IMG_5101
  • 3/4 cup whole wheatberries
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Add wheatberries and milk to blender and blend on highest setting for four (4) minutes.
  2. Add in the eggs, brown sugar, salt, vanilla, and baking powder and continue blending for one (1) more minute.
  3. Rub a stick of butter on a hot griddle (you will know it is perfectly sizzling hot when a drop of water dances across the surface) and carefully use a paper towel to rub the butter around until you barely see any.
  4. Using a medium sized cookie scoop, scoop the batter onto the hot griddle (I used two scoop-fuls per pancake). You can flip the pancakes when the bubbles along their tops remain open (You can see in the picture below that the pancake on the right is ready to flip, while the pancake in the middle was just put on. The pancake on the left is almost ready.).
  5. Store pancakes in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve!
IMG_5106

strawberry syrup ingredients:

IMG_5104
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup frozen strawberries
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1 tbsp butter
  1. Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for around three (3) minutes until the mixture becomes syrupy (you're really just making a simple syrup here- 2 parts sugar to one part liquid).
  2. Add the strawberries, lemon zest and butter and bring to a simmer. Simmer for around six (6) minutes stirring occasionally.
  3. With a fork, mash up the berries into the syrup until desired consistency (you could also pour the mixture into a blender if you wanted it really smooth).
  4. Serve the syrup over the pancakes.
Makes enough for two very hungry individuals (about 10 little pancakes)!

IMG_5113

I put four of the pancakes on a plate for myself but only ended up eating three and I'm stuffed! I paired my pancakes with a nice big glass of nonfat milk. The milk helped distract from a bit of the sweetness. I think I wouldn't have noticed the overt sweet flavor of the strawberry syrup as much if I had used less. I will definitely make the pancake batter again and I can't wait to try different combinations of flavors. Some that had crossed my mind are:
  • walnut and banana
  • dark chocolate and coconut flakes
  • dried cherries and pine nuts
  • blueberry and lime zest
The options are seriously endless!

IMG_5110

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails