Closet Cooking has become one of my very favorite blogs to go to for recipes. Kevin's blog entries are always creative and inspired and it helps that I seem to have very similar taste buds to him! I saw this Roasted Strawberry Salad with Baked Goat Cheese and I instantly knew I had to make it.
The balsamic vinegar complements the strawberries so nicely and the creamy goat cheese is a great contrast to the tartness.
Roasted Strawberry Salad with Baked Goat Cheese
recipe adapted from here
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used Panko)
- 4 cups strawberries, stemmed and halved
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 15 ounces Romaine lettuce, cut or torn onto bite-sized pieces (I used baby romaine and romaine hearts)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2/3 cup pecans, toasted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp whole-grain mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and freeze the goat cheese for 20 minutes.
- Slice the goat cheese into discs and dredge them in the bread crumbs. (I rolled mine into small balls and then flattened them out for smaller discs) Bake for 5 minutes, or until golden brown (since I used Panko it didn't really brown). Set aside.
- Toss the strawberries in the honey and balsamic vinegar to coat and place in a single-layer baking dish. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until slightly caramelized.
- Pour the juices from the strawberries into a bowl and mix with the olive oil, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Toss the lettuce, strawberries, and dressing together and place goat cheese on top. Serve immediately.