Pumpkin and Black Bean Quesadillas
- 1 cup of pumpkin cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1 chopped jalapeno
- small handful of Manchego cheese
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 tortillas ( I used La Tortilla Factory's whole wheat green onion tortillas)
- heaping 1/3 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream for dipping (I used 0% Fage)
- In a bowl, toss the pumpkin in the vegetable oil and chipotle peppers and roast in a 400 degree oven on a baking sheet for 30 minutes (toss after 15 minutes to ensure even cooking) until soft and caramelized.
- Mix the roasted pumpkin, black beans, jalapeno, and ground cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Melt a small amount of butter in a pan and place a tortilla in and top it with the pumpkin mixture, then the cheese, and finally the other tortilla.
- Fry until both sides are golden brown and the cheese is nice and gooey.
- Serve with Greek yogurt or sour cream (I sprinkled some more cinnamon on top of the Greek yogurt, yum!).
Oh my... these were unbelievable! The bite of the Manchego cheese paired so nicely with the sweetness of the pumpkin. Check out how gooey the inside got:
I ate each and every last morsel. I will for sure make this again!
While I was roasting the marinated pumpkin chunks for the quesadillas, I roasted up a whole little pumpkin and turned it into pumpkin puree for recipes later in the week. After the success of this one, I can't wait to try the others!