My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.spachethespatula.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Pumpkin and Black Bean Quesadillas

It was a super late dinner tonight! We had to go buy me a camera this evening since I've been making Mikey take all my pictures with his big, nice camera that I have zero idea of how to use. I got the Canon PowerShot SD1200 IS in the cool blue steel color. I really like it! After we got the camera we stopped by his parents' house to pick up some goodies and munch on some apples, grapes, and delicious parmesan cheese. His mom gave us two little pumpkins to decorate with but of course the first thing I thought of was cutting them up and roasting them. I had been meaning to get a few pumpkins for a ton of recipes I've been wanting to try this fall. I immediately knew what was on the menu for dinner...

Pumpkin and Black Bean Quesadillas
recipe adapted from: Closet Cooking

IMG_0005

ingredients:

IMG_0002
  • 1 cup of pumpkin cut into small pieces
  • 1 tsp vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
  • 1/4 cup black beans
  • 1 chopped jalapeno
  • small handful of Manchego cheese
  • pinch of ground cinnamon
  • 2 tortillas ( I used La Tortilla Factory's whole wheat green onion tortillas)
  • heaping 1/3 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream for dipping (I used 0% Fage)
  1. In a bowl, toss the pumpkin in the vegetable oil and chipotle peppers and roast in a 400 degree oven on a baking sheet for 30 minutes (toss after 15 minutes to ensure even cooking) until soft and caramelized. IMG_0003
  2. Mix the roasted pumpkin, black beans, jalapeno, and ground cinnamon together in a bowl.
  3. Melt a small amount of butter in a pan and place a tortilla in and top it with the pumpkin mixture, then the cheese, and finally the other tortilla. IMG_0004
  4. Fry until both sides are golden brown and the cheese is nice and gooey.
  5. Serve with Greek yogurt or sour cream (I sprinkled some more cinnamon on top of the Greek yogurt, yum!).
IMG_0006

Oh my... these were unbelievable! The bite of the Manchego cheese paired so nicely with the sweetness of the pumpkin. Check out how gooey the inside got:

IMG_0007

I ate each and every last morsel. I will for sure make this again!

IMG_0008

While I was roasting the marinated pumpkin chunks for the quesadillas, I roasted up a whole little pumpkin and turned it into pumpkin puree for recipes later in the week. After the success of this one, I can't wait to try the others!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails