Scones are some of my favorite treats and they make a delectable breakfast. I based this recipe off of Ina Garten's recipe for Strawberry Scones. These scones turned out great! They are moist and sweet with a nice tart aftertaste from the lemon zest.
Lemon Blueberry Scones
recipe adapted from here
- 4 cups plus 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 12 oz cold unsalted butter, diced
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 1 cup blueberries (I used frozen)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 egg, beaten with 2 tbsp milk, for egg wash (I just used 1 tbsp of heavy cream instead of 2 tbsp of milk because I had it out already)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine 4 cups of the flour, 2 tbsp of sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Blend in butter at lowest speed and mix until the the butter is in pea-size pieces.
- Combine the eggs with the heavy cream and quickly add them to the flour and butter mixture. Combine until just blended.
- Toss the blueberries with 1 tbsp of flour. Add them to the dough and mix quickly.
- Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and flour your hands and a rolling pin. Roll the dough 3/4 inch thick- you should see lumps of butter in the dough.
- Cut into squares with a plain or fluted cutter and then cut them in half diagonally to make triangles (I just used a 3 inch circular cutter as I don't own a square one). Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Brush the tops with the egg wash and sprinkle on sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes (mine baked for 15 min in their circular shape), until the outsides are crisp and the insides are fully baked.
They're great with a nice pat of butter, but they are equally good with a smear of English Clotted Cream.