I saw this recipe over at Closet Cooking and have been wanting to try it for a couple of months now and have even had the curry roux stashed in my pantry for a while but I just never got around to it. Boy am I glad I finally found the time to make this!
recipe from here
- 1 tbsp oil (I used Canola)
- 1 lb beef, cut into bite-sized pieces (I just used the pre-cut beef for stewing)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, grated
- 2 carrots, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 sweet apple, grated (I used a Honeycrisp apple)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 box Japanese curry roux
- beef stock
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven.
- Add the beef and brown on all sides. Remove beef and set aside.
- Add onions and saute until soft.
- Add the beef back in and cover with beef stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until beef is fall apart tender, about 1 to 2 hours.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, apple, honey, and curry roux and cover with more beef stock.
- Stir until the curry roux is fully dissolved.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
I love Japanese curry and this recipe does not disappoint in the least. The sweet and savory combo that you get from the honey and apple with the beef and curry is absolutely sublime! I served mine with some Jasmine rice to soak up all of that tasty sauce.