My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.spachethespatula.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Homemade Mayonnaise

I have to work at 5:30 today so I knew I had to get in a late lunch before heading out. At around 3:30 I decided I should start thinking of something to eat. I wanted a sandwich but I wanted to do something to give it a little flair. I decided I would whip up a little homemade mayo!

IMG_0074

Homemade Mayonnaise

IMG_0067

ingredients:
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • pinch of salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 to 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups olive oil
  1. Combine egg yolks, whole egg, mustard, salt, pepper, and 2 tbsp of lemon juice in a food processor and process for 1 minute.
  2. With the motor running, gradually add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream.
  3. When thoroughly blended, turn of the processor and scrape down the sides. Taste and correct the seasonings if necessary (here you can add the remaining lemon juice if you desire).
The mayonnaise will keep covered in the refrigerator for 5 days. Let it return to room temperature and stir before using.

IMG_0069

I spread my mayo on a slice of Dakota Great Harvest bread and topped it with some salt and pepper. Then I added couple slices of deli-sliced Jennie-O turkey breast meat, some tomato, lettuce, and a bit of grainy mustard on the other bread slice.

IMG_0071
IMG_0072

I ate my sandwich with yummy, juicy grapes and lots of water. It was so good. Homemade mayo and store-bought aren't even in the same category of food, I swear! I have to say though, mine was quite olive oil-y tasting and I think that's because I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil; it was still delicious nonetheless!

IMG_0073

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails